Tuesday, January 20, 2015

3 weeks old / What I Know About You


Who needs personal space when you get snuggles like this


Today you are 3 weeks old. 
I remember thinking those first few nights that time was standing still and that the hours between sunset and sunrise had never felt so long. 
But now where have those 3 weeks gone? 

I'm learning your routine and learning a little more about you everyday.

Here's what I know about you so far:

  • You don't like when I tickle the back of your neck. You shrug up your shoulders and give me a very unimpressed look. I still do it to you though. Get used to it. 
  • You don't have silent poops. You let that gas out loud and proud. Don't ever be ashamed of this.
  • You're a bit of a night owl. You seem most wide awake (and fussy) between 9 pm to 1am. Recently I've discovered that letting you be upright or laying on your back and letting you look at things seems to calm you. I think you're already inquisitive and you're probably the smartest baby. Ever.
  • You're strong. When you get tummy time on my (or your daddy's) chest you can push your head up and hold it up for what seems like far too long for not even a month old. I'm sure this is normal but I'm pretty convinced you're going to be one strong kid.
  • We had a bath with you last week and you loved it. I think you might be a natural water baby. I'm excited to take you swimming this summer. 
  • You look more and more like your dad everyday. I thought I wanted a little mini-me but I absolutely love seeing his features in yours. And I know he does too.
  • You're growing too fast. You're still my tiny little bug but already your hands and feet are filling out and less wrinkly. Even your face seems more grown up.
  • In the dark, early morning hours when you wake up to feed, with your bald little head, your little noises, and your movements, you sometimes look like Voldemort. My little dark lord. 


Here's what I've learned about myself:
  • I actually enjoy being able to get some housework done in the morning. I try to keep the house clean more now then ever before. Last week, when you were enjoying a morning/afternoon nap, I cleaned the bathroom and the kitchen and enjoyed it. Weird.
  • My breastfeeding metabolism is the best. Just the best. I'm going to miss being able to eat cookies for lunch when I stop breastfeeding.
  • I am capable of pure, unconditional love. I've never been more in love with both you and your dad. I cry about once a day. 
  • I'm getting really good at doing things one handed. Baby in one arm, multi-tasking with the other. 
  • I have an amazing network of family and friends who bring us food and company and new parent advice.
  • It took me about two weeks to stop googling things, convinced I was doing thing wrong. Now I only do it occasionally. 

It's been fun spending everyday with you, my bug, and I can't wait to learn more about you and watch you grow in the weeks to come. 

And if you want to slow down how quickly you're growing up, I'd be fine with that too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment